All started with an intuition and vision, and in the process of understanding how these pursued into tangible processes of change (our reflection on action), my colleague Icy Anabo, found the 4i framework, by Crossan, et al (1999). The more we dig on the way the 6i strategy had unfolded, the more we asserted that we had been using, without knowing it, the conceptual tools provided by the 4i organisational learning framework (Crossan, et al. 1999) and its expansions (Kleysen & Dyck, 2001; Zietsma, et al., 2002; Lawrence, et al., 2005).
Therefore, the 6i Stratety is more than the 6 building blocks that give the name to it. It has, in fact, 12 'i', if we start with the first one that triggers any process of change; an idea! (I must recall here a great conversation with my dear friend, Sean McArthy in Bologna).
Furthermore, we have the 8th i, if we include the intergenerational collaboration in the equation (young of all ages). We learned that by working in the Schuman 2.0 project. And finally, the 4i that configures the 4i framework needed to drive the process of change in an ever ending feedback and feed forward learning and adjusting loop. We can call it the 6i + Strategy !!!
The 6i strategy unfolds on a reflection-in-action and a reflection-on-action that moves forward by:
- analysing the existing actions and practices, contrasting them with the future vision;
- intuiting the new aims, the next steps,... to overcome barriers and challenges, shifting direction when needed;
- learning from the actions put in place, extracting the lessons learned (what has worked and what needs to be improved, adjusted or discarded),
- interpreting and understanding the possibilities; and
- integrating the elements at hand in order to get things institutionalised to start the whole process again.
Life is a continuous change!
The 6i+ Strategy offers transformational management and leadership to generate open N-Helix stakeholder long-term collaborative environments.
The triggering element is the multilevel process of change (individual, organisational, community and systemic learning) to build social innovation ecosystem and purpose-driven networks for shared prosperity.
The 6i+ Strategy channels the creative thinking and resilient actions able to solve the interlinked challenges of our time in a collaborative manner. It generates strategic processes of change to produce shifts in vision and practices as a way for institutions, such as universities, companies or public bodies, to rethink, revisit and sustain its relevance and positive impact.
Each process of change will adapt to its context encompassing and integrating multiple techniques, methods, and interventions at each particular stage of change. This is needed to pave the way for:
- Consolidated collaborative environments with shared and/or negotiated strategic focus based on strategic partnerships (giving voice to minority groups under the principle of ‘no one left behind’, paying special attention to children, youth and elderly participation;
- Stronger research groups: Talent attraction based on interdisciplinary, intersectoral and international collaborations; and
- Real transfer of knowledge and positive societal impact
Change processes are covert and overt activities and experiences in which individuals, organisations and communities engage in when attempting to address their complex socio-economic challenges.